[Python-Dev] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode (v3)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 11:46:42 EST 2017

> For those of us trying to follow along, is this change to open() one that
> Inada-san was worried about?  Has something else changed?

I agree that my PEP is evolving quickly, that's why I added a "Version
History" at the end:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/#version-history

"""
Version History
===============

* Version 4: ``locale.getpreferredencoding()`` now returns ``'UTF-8'``
  in the UTF-8 Mode.
* Version 3: The UTF-8 Mode does not change the ``open()`` default error
  handler (``strict``) anymore, and the Strict UTF-8 Mode has been
  removed.
* Version 2: Rewrite the PEP from scratch to make it much shorter and
  easier to understand.
* Version 1: First version posted to python-dev.
"""

Naoki disliked the usage of the surrogateescape error handler for
open(). I "fixed" this in the PEP version 3: open() error handler is
not modified by the PEP.

Victor