[Python-Dev] Issues with PEP 526 Variable Notation at the class level

Aaron Hall aaronchall at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 20:16:41 EST 2017

 I'm not a typing expert, but I want to second Raymond's concerns, and perhaps I'm qualified to do so as I gave the PyCon USA __slots__ talk this year and I have a highly voted answer describing them on Stack Overflow.
Beautiful thing we're doing here with the dataclasses, by the way. I think addressing the slots issue could be a killer feature of dataclasses.

I hope this doesn't muddy the water:

If I could change a couple of things about __slots__ it would be 1. to allow multiple inheritance with multiple parents with nonempty slots (raises "TypeError: multiple bases have instance lay-out conflict"), and
2. to avoid creating redundant slots if extant in a parent (but maybe we should do this in the C level for all classes?).

It seems to me that Dataclasses could (and should) help us avoid the second issue regardless (should be trivial to look in the bases for preexisting slots, right?).

My workaround for the first issue is to inherit from ABCs with empty slots, but you need cooperative multiple inheritance for this - and you need to track the expected attributes (easy if you use abstract properties, which slots provide for. Maybe not all users of Dataclasses are advanced enough to do this?

So, maybe this is crazy (please don't call the nice men in white coats on me), came to me as I was responding, and definitely outside the box here, but perhaps we could make decorated dataclass be the abstract parent of the instantiated class?

Thanks,
Aaron Hall