[Python-Dev] Issues with PEP 526 Variable Notation at the class level

Tin Tvrtković tinchester at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 14:17:25 EST 2017

Hello,

I'm one of the attrs contributors, and the person who initially wrote the
slots functionality there.

We've given up on returning a new class always since this can conflict with
certain metaclasses (have you noticed you can't make a slots attrs class
inheriting from Generic[T]?) and with PEP 487. I think with PEP 487 it's
becoming especially evident class creation is not necessarily an idempotent
operation.

I'm currently brainstorming alternative APIs for slots. The best solution
would be for Python to actually offer a way to add slotness to a class
after it's been defined, and Guido has expressed approval (
https://github.com/ericvsmith/dataclasses/issues/60#issuecomment-348719029).

Personally I really like slot classes, both for their memory
characteristics and the fact the attributes need to be enumerated
beforehand and typos get turned into errors, so I'd welcome any development
on this front. :)