[Python-Dev] Guarantee ordered dict literals in v3.7?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 15 11:55:28 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Raymond Hettinger <
raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 15, 2017, at 7:53 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > Make it so. "Dict keeps insertion order" is the ruling. Thanks!
>
> Thank you.  That is wonderful news :-)
>
> Would it be reasonable to replace some of the OrderedDict() uses in the
> standard library with dict()?  For example, have namedtuples's _asdict() go
> back to returning a plain dict as it did in its original incarnation. Also,
> it looks like argparse could save an import by using a regular dict.

If it's documented as OrderedDict that would be backwards incompatible,
since that has additional methods. Even if not documented it's likely to
break some code. So, I'm not sure about this (though I agree with the
sentiment that OrderedDict is much less important now).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)