[Python-Dev] f-strings

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 19 15:32:03 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> I don't see any reason not to document tips and tricks with f-strings,
> and this is a nice and useful example.  But it looks like TOOWTDI to
> me.  The syntax is documented (6.1.3.1 in the Library Reference),
> along with a specific relevant example ("Aligning the text and
> specifying a width" in 6.1.3.2).
>
> So -1 on putting the recipe in the reference docs.  I really don't
> think this kind of information belongs in a PEP for sure, and probably
> not even in the Library Reference.

The docs (and I think PEP) have been updated to clearly state that
f-strings use the same formatting specifiers as .format(), and have links
to those docs.

So I think we're good.

> The Tutorial might be a good place
> for it, though.

yup.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov