[Python-Dev] [ssl] The weird case of IDNA

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 21:00:20 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:07:01AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>> This is another reason why we ought to let users do their own IDNA handling
>> if they want...
>
> I expect that letting users do their own IDNA handling will correspond
> to not doing any IDNA handling at all.

That'll lead to one of two possibilities:

1) People use Unicode strings to represent domain names. Python's
existing IDNA handling will happen; they're not doing their own. Not
what you're talking about. Or:

2) People use byte strings to represent domain names. Any non-ASCII
characters will simply cause an exception, if I'm not mistaken. Safe,
but not as functional.

ChrisA