[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 02:38:00 EST 2017

> I'm sure the patch author would appreciate it, but I don't think we
> need to require it as we have gone this long without it.

I know that different people have different expectation on GitHub. I
would like to take the opportunity of migrating to Git to use the
"author" and "committer" fields. If the author is set to the real
author, the one who proposed the change on the bug tracker or someone
else, we will be able to compute statistics on most active
contributors to more easily detect them and promote them to core
developers.

What do you think?

I agree that pull requests avoid the issues of filling manually the
author field, but I expect that no everyone will use PR, especially
because we will still use our current bug tracker which accepts to
attach patch files. Ok to propose them to create a PR instead.

Victor