[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Wed Feb 8 02:52:03 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that different people have different expectation on GitHub. I
> would like to take the opportunity of migrating to Git to use the
> "author" and "committer" fields. If the author is set to the real
> author, the one who proposed the change on the bug tracker or someone
> else, we will be able to compute statistics on most active
> contributors to more easily detect them and promote them to core
> developers.
>
> What do you think?

I am +1 to this idea. The intention behind this idea is also good one.

* When the patches come from Github PRs, the contribution authors are
automatically tracked. The comitter would be merging the changes from
the authors.

* When contribution comes via Patches/ or for many existing patches,
setting the author is a good idea.

I have one question. If we disallow direct push to branches and the
core-dev has to create a PR to merge the changes in, I guess it is
still possible to have author information in the commit.