[Python-Dev] Py 3.6 on Ubuntu Zesty

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:10:14 EST 2017

On 02/07/2017 11:38 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 07, 2017, at 02:15 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why Python 3.6 is not the default Python 3 under the
>> upcoming Ubuntu Zesty, or what may be holding it back?
>
> I guess that would be me. :)

Thank for the in-depth explanation!

> The Fedora/RH ecosystem probably has their own list, which I'd expect to
> mostly overlap with ours, but I don't have those links handy.

Hello,

Python 3.6 is the python3 in Fedora Rawhide, on track to become Fedora
26 in June.
These packages fail to build (which, for properly packaged software,
includes passing upstream tests where feasible):

insight  (failure unrelated to Python)
python-django-admin-honeypot  (not ported for django 1.10)
python-os-brick  (unrelated packaging problems)
python-oslo-messaging  (blocked by python-oslo-middleware)
python-oslo-middleware  (not ported for webob 1.7+)
python-oslo-versionedobjects  (blocked by python3-oslo-messaging)
python-recommonmark  (not ported to latest commonmark)
python-repoze-who-plugins-sa  (test failures)
rb_libtorrent  (probably unrelated to Python)
shogun  (probably unrelated to Python)

That's 10 of 3349 python3-compatible packages.
The list used to be much longer and contain much more important
packages, but got to the current state thanks to individual maintainers
and people like Adam Williamson, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek, and Igor
Gnatenko (and the python-maint team, but we're paid for it).
The list was also longer than usual because there was no mass rebuild of
packages for Fedora 25, so some build failures introduced in the last
year are only popping up now.

Released versions of Fedora will be getting getting a "python36" package
soon; for now it's installable using:

    dnf install --enablerepo=updates-testing python36

This is one of Fedora's "other Pythons" (interpreters other than the
"current" 2.x and 3.x, i.e.  python26, python34, python33). It's enough
to make virtualenv/venv and tox work, but no system packages are built
for these.