[Python-Dev] GitHub migration scheduled for Friday

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 8 18:53:08 EST 2017

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 at 15:04 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Don't forget we are doing squash merges,
>
> Ah, I didn't know. Why not using merges?

Because other core devs wanted a linear history. This preference was very
strong to the point people were willing to forgo the Merge button in
GitHub's web UI to enforce it until GitHub added the squash merge support
for the Merge button. This was decided over a year ago and documented in
PEP 512 as the decision made since I believe the beginning of that PEP.

Now I know Victor was asking out of curiosity, but I'm going to ask nicely
now and then ignore later anyone who starts second-guessing my decisions at
this point as someone did as a follow-up to Victor's question. This process
has been discussed for over 2 years and PEP 512 has existed for over one
year. There has also been an open mailing list where I have held
discussions on various topics and people have been free to ask and
participate on. Now is not the time to start second-guessing things that
have already been decided and discussed to great length before we even have
any experience with the chosen workflow.

The final stretch of this whole process has been going smoothly, so I'm
trying to ask nicely that everyone give me the benefit of the doubt and
assume everything has been thought out and there is a reason behind
everything before you choose to second-guess my decisions at the 11th hour.