[Python-Dev] Update on labels to be used on GitHub

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Feb 13 15:08:55 EST 2017

We now have two sets of labels for representing cherry-picking statuses:
"backport to N.M" and "cherry-pick for N.M". The former are to help keep
track of what branches a PR should be cherry-picked *to* and can be removed
once the PR for a cherry-pick has been created (you can add a comment like
"cherry-picked from GH-NN" to make the link between the PRs)*.*  The latter
labels are to signify that the PR is a cherry-pick *itself*.

As with all aspects of the new GitHub workflow, we will give this a solid
try for about a month and then we can re-evaluate whether we like this
approach or want a more traditional prefix format in the title to represent
the same thing.