[Python-Dev] Update on labels to be used on GitHub

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:43:09 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 at 14:43 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > We now have two sets of labels for representing cherry-picking statuses:
>> > "backport to N.M" and "cherry-pick for N.M". The former are to help keep
>> > track of what branches a PR should be cherry-picked to and can be
>> > removed
>> > once the PR for a cherry-pick has been created (you can add a comment
>> > like
>> > "cherry-picked from GH-NN" to make the link between the PRs).
>>
>> The first time I looked at the "backport to 3.6" flag, I understood
>> that the change was written on the 3.6 branch and asked to rebase the
>> change on 3.6. If I was confused, I'm sure that someone else will be
>> confused as well :-)
>>
>> What do you think of renaming the label to "need 3.6 backport" (or
>> "need backport to 3.6")?
>

> That's fine by me. Anyone else have an opinion?

To propose another color for the bikeshed, what about having labels
for each branch along with "needs backport" and "cherry-pick" labels?
PRs that should be backported get "needs backport" and each branch
that should get the patch, and cherry-pick PRs get exactly one branch
label and the "cherry-pick" label.  I think this would make it easier
to see which branch a particular PR is against from the PR list.

--
Zach