[Python-Dev] Split Misc/NEWS into individual files

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Feb 22 11:42:57 EST 2017

On Feb 22, 2017, at 01:27 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>OpenStack happily fixed this issue one or two years ago with "reno":
>https://pypi.python.org/pypi/reno

reno looks interesting but there is at least one thing I think would need
changing for us.  Aside: I'm not super psyched about its requiring YAML files
for its input.  Their structure can be fairly arcane for drive-by
contributors, but I suppose with good documentation and a CI gate, we can live
with that.

I'm also not thrilled with having to learn yet another command line tool to
submit changes to Python.

The main dissonance for us is I think the sections that reno supports

https://docs.openstack.org/developer/reno/usage.html

Our release notes have different sections:

* Core and Builtins
* Extension Modules
* Library
* Windows
* C API
* Documentation
* Build
* Tools/Demos
* Tests
(others?)

I don't know if those are configurable in reno or it would require a fork, but
I'd like to preserve that organizational structure.  If reno can also help
wrap long lines, enforce/encourage bpo-* mentions, and clean up whitespace,
then I'm for trying it out.

-Barry