[Python-Dev] Split Misc/NEWS into individual files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 22 18:17:46 EST 2017

On 2/22/2017 3:59 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Our release notes have different sections:
>>
>> * Core and Builtins
>> * Extension Modules
>> * Library

* IDLE

>> * Windows
>> * C API
>> * Documentation
>> * Build
>> * Tools/Demos
>> * Tests
>> (others?)
>
> While we are talking about changing things... I would propose to
> require to specify a module name if a change is in the Library
> section, and then maybe even group changes per module.

+1 I would like tkinter changes grouped together.

There have been similar requests to more finely divide tracker issues.

Since there are about 400 modules, an alternative would be to group by
package or doc chapter.  The 30 chapters after the 5 built-in chapters
are a much more manageable number for both the tracker and NEWS.

Having IDLE issues (which groups 60 related modules) split out
tremendously helps IDLE users.  But it need not be the only such grouping.

--
Terry Jan Reedy