[Python-Dev] re performance

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Thu Jan 26 16:46:08 EST 2017

On 26.01.2017 22:33, Vlastimil Brom wrote:
> Hi,
> I can't speak about the details of mrab's implementation, but using
> regex, I get the resulting match instantly: [...]

Nice! I focused on the stdlib re module as this is mainly used by other
frameworks (like Django).

> (I personally prefer to use regex for other advantages, than this
> artificial case, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have better
> performance here too:)

Me, too.

So, it seems as if regex already uses a better algorithm although I
couldn't find any reference to any regex theoretical framework like dfa,
nfa, thompson multiple-state simulation or something.

Cheers,
Sven