[Python-Dev] Design Philosophy: Performance vs Robustness/Maintainability

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Jul 18 12:08:08 EDT 2017

Raymond Hettinger:
-----------------
 > One minor grumble:  I think we need to give careful cost/benefit considerations to
 > optimizations that complicate the implementation.  Over the last several years, the
 > source for Python has grown increasingly complicated.  Fewer people understand it
 > now. It is much harder to newcomers to on-ramp.  The old-timers (myself included)
 > find that their knowledge is out of date.  And complexity leads to bugs (the C
 > optimization of random number seeding caused a major bug in the 3.6.0 release; the
 > C optimization of the lru_cache resulted in multiple releases having a hard to find
 > threading bugs, etc.).  It is becoming increasingly difficult to look at code and
 > tell whether it is correct (I still don't fully understand the implications of the
 > recursive constant folding in the peephole optimizer for example).    In the case
 > of this named tuple proposal, the complexity is manageable, but the overall trend
 > isn't good and I get the feeling the aggressive optimization is causing us to
 > forget key parts of the zen-of-python.

Nick Coughlan:
-------------
> As another example of this: while trading the global import lock for
> per-module locks eliminated most of the old import deadlocks, it turns
> out that it *also* left us with some fairly messy race conditions and
> more fragile code (I still count that particular case as a win
> overall, but it definitely raises the barrier to entry for maintaining
> that code).
>
> Unfortunately, these are frequently cases where the benefits are
> immediately visible (e.g. faster benchmark results, removing
> longstanding limitations on user code), but the downsides can
> literally take years to make themselves felt (e.g. higher defect rates
> in the interpreter, subtle bugs in previously correct user code that
> are eventually traced back to interpreter changes).

Barry Warsaw:
------------
 > Regardless of whether [namedtuple] optimization is a good idea or not, start up
 > time *is* a serious challenge in many environments for CPython in particular and
 > the perception of Python’s applicability to many problems.  I think we’re better
 > off trying to identify and address such problems than ignoring or minimizing them.

Ethan Furman:
Speed is not the only factor, and certainly shouldn't be the first concern, but once
we have correct code we need to follow our own advice:  find the bottlenecks and optimize
them.  Optimized code will never be as pretty or maintainable as simple, unoptimized
code but real-world applications often require as much performance as can be obtained.

[My apologies if I missed any points from the namedtuple thread.]

--
~Ethan~