[Python-Dev] Python startup time

Zero Piraeus schesis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 22:40:47 EDT 2017

:

On 19 July 2017 at 21:19, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> But the premise is wrong too. Those hypothetical people don't turn their
> Macs on in sequence, each person turning their computer on only after
> the previous person's Mac had finished booting. They effectively boot
> them up in parallel but offset, spread out over a 24 hour period, so
> about 3472 people booting up at the same time each minute of the day.
> Time savings for parallel processes don't add in the way Jobs adds them,
> if we treat this as 1440 parallel processes (one per minute of the day)
> we save 1440 hours a year.

Ah, but the relevant unit here is person-hours, not hours: Jobs is
claiming that *each* Mac user loses X% of *their* life to boot times,
and then adds all those slices of life together into N lifetimes
(which again, are counted in person-years, not years).

It's still wrong, though: longer boot times actually increase the
proportion of your life spent in meaningful activity (e.g. going to
the canteen and talking to someone).

 -[]z.