[Python-Dev] startup time repeated? why not daemon

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 23:55:25 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The are some genuine downsides in increasing the complexity of
> bootstrapping CPython when all you're starting with is a VCS clone and
> a C compiler, but those complications are ultimately no worse than
> those we already have with Argument Clinic, and hence amenable to the
> same solution: if we need to, we can check in the generated C files in
> order to make bootstrapping easier.

Are the generated C files perfectly identical? If you use Cython to
compile the same file twice, will you always get a byte-for-byte
identical file? If so, it should be safe to check them in, and then
have a "make regenerate" that wipes out all Cython-generated files and
rebuilds them. That followed by "git status" would immediately tell
you if something failed to get checked in.

ChrisA