[Python-Dev] startup time repeated? why not daemon

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 01:11:01 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:49 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Lazy loading can have a significant impact on startup time, as it
> means you don't have to pay for the cost of finding and loading
> modules that you don't actually end up using on that particular run
>
> We've historically resisted adopting these techniques for the standard
> library because they *do* make things more complicated *and* harder to
> debug relative to plain old eagerly imported dynamic Python code.
> However, if we're going to recommend them as good practices for 3rd
> party developers looking to optimise the startup time of their Python
> applications, then it makes sense for us to embrace them for the
> standard library as well, rather than having our first reaction be to
> write more hand-crafted C code.

Are there any good write-ups of best practices and techniques in this
area for applications (other than obvious things like avoiding
unnecessary imports)? I'm thinking of things like how to structure
your project, things to look for, developer tools that might help, and
perhaps third-party runtime libraries?

--Chris