[Python-Dev] Need help to fix urllib(.parse) vulnerabilities

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:45:36 EDT 2017

> https://bugs.python.org/issue29606
> http://python-security.readthedocs.io/vuln/urllib_ftp_protocol_stream_injection.html#urllib-ftp-protocol-stream-injection
> => not fixed yet

Ok, I more concrete problem. To fix the "urllib FTP" bug, we have to
find a balance between security (reject any URL looking like an
attempt to counter the security protections) and backward
compatibility (accept filenames containing newlines).

Maybe we need to only reject an URL which contains a newline in the
"host" part, but accept them in the "path" part of the URL? The
question is if the code splits correctly "host" and "path" parts when
the URL contains a newline. My bet is that no, it behaves badly :-)

Victor