[Python-Dev] Is Windows XP still supported on Python 2.7?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 05:04:52 EDT 2017

Hi,

We have a Windows XP buildbot for Python 2.7, run by David Bolen:
http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/x86%20Windows%20XP%202.7/

test_bsddb3 fails randomly on this buildbot:
http://bugs.python.org/issue30778

But Windows XP clearly reached its end-of-life, Microsoft doesn't
support it anymore. So my question is if it makes sense to spend time
on it?

We have a rule for new x.y.0 released, but not if a Microsoft Windows
support expires during the lifetime of a Python release (2.7 here):
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#microsoft-windows

Firefox made great efforts to support Windows XP last years, but they
decided to drop support last March with Firefox 52, last release
supporting XP and Visa:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

Victor