[Python-Dev] The untuned tunable parameter ARENA_SIZE

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Jun 1 04:41:15 EDT 2017

On 06/01/2017 01:19 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> If you'd like to go that way anyway, I would suggest 1MB as a starting
> point in 3.7.

I understand the desire for caution.  But I was hoping maybe we could
experiment with 4mb in trunk for a while?  We could change it to 1mb--or
even 256k--before beta 1 if we get anxious.

>>    * Many programs would be slightly faster now and then, simply because
>>      we call malloc() 1/16 as often.
> malloc() you said?  Arenas are allocated using mmap() nowadays, right?

malloc() and free().  See _PyObject_ArenaMalloc (etc) in Objects/obmalloc.c.

On Windows Python uses VirtualAlloc(), and I don't know what the
implications are of that.

//arry/