[Python-Dev] RFC: Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Jun 1 05:23:25 EDT 2017

Le 01/06/2017 à 11:13, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> That's why pip uses Requests which uses certifi (Mozilla
> bundled root certificate authorities.)

pip could use certifi without using Requests.  My guess is that Requests
is used mostly because it eases coding.

> pip and so Requests are part of the current success of the Python
> community.

pip is, but I'm not convinced about Requests.  If Requests didn't exist,
people (including pip's developers) would use another HTTP-fetching
library, they wouldn't switch to Go or Ruby.

> Do you also disagree on the need of the need of the PEP 546
> (backport) to make the PEP 543 (new TLS API) feasible in practice?

Yes, I disagree.  We needn't backport that new API to Python 2.7.
Perhaps it's time to be reasonable: Python 2.7 has been in bugfix-only
mode for a very long time.  Python 3.6 is out.  We should move on.

Regards

Antoine.