[Python-Dev] RFC: Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

David Wilson dw+python-dev at hmmz.org
Thu Jun 1 07:09:12 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 11:47:31AM +0100, Cory Benfield wrote:

> I have, but discarded the idea.

I'm glad to hear it was given sufficent thought. :)

I have one final 'crazy' idea, and actually it does not seem to bad at
all: can't you just fork a subprocess or spawn threads to handle the
blocking SSL APIs?

Sure it wouldn't be beautiful, but it is more appealing than forcing an
upgrade on all 2.7 users just so they can continue to use pip. (Which,
ironically, seems to resonate strongly with the motivation behind all of
this work -- allowing users to continue with their old environments
without forcing an upgrade to 3.x!)

David