[Python-Dev] RFC: Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jun 1 13:09:22 EDT 2017

On Jun 02, 2017, at 02:14 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:

>But it also includes people on stable Linux distros, where they have
>automatic updates provided by Red Hat or Debian or whomever, so a change like
>this WILL propagate - particularly (a) as the window is three entire years,
>and (b) if the change is considered important by the distro managers, which
>is a smaller group of people to convince than the users themselves.
[...]
>So I'd be in the "yes" category. Across the next few years, I strongly
>suspect that 2.7.14 will propagate reasonably well.

I'm not so sure about that, given long term support releases.  For Ubuntu, LTS
releases live for 5 years:

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

By 2020, only Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 will still be maintained, so while 18.04
will likely contain whatever the latest 2.7 is available at that time, 16.04
won't track upstream point releases, but instead will get select cherry
picks.  For good reason, there's a lot of overhead to backporting fixes into
stable releases, and something as big as being suggested here would, in my
best guess, have a very low chance of showing up in stable releases.

-Barry