[Python-Dev] Extremely slow test modules

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jun 3 09:01:07 EDT 2017

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 15:28:18 +0300
Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> test_tools (in particular the test for the unparse.py script),
> test_tokenize, and test_lib2to3 read and proceed every Python file in
> the stdlib. This is necessary in full test run because some syntax
> constructs are very rarely used.

There's no need to parse the whole stdlib for that.  Just parse a
couple files with the required syntax constructs (for example the test
suite, which by construction should have all of them).

> This is controlled by the cpy resource.
> I suggested to disable it on the slowest buildbots (-uall,-cpu). In that
> case tests are ran only for few random files.

I don't really care about the buildbots, but I care about CI
turnaround.  A Travis-CI test run takes 24 minutes.  Assuming it uses 4
cores and those 4 tests take more than 6 minutes each, that means we
could almost shave 6 minutes (25%) on the duration of the Travis-CI
test run.

Regards

Antoine.