[Python-Dev] PEP 7 and braces { .... } on if

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Jun 5 11:19:49 EDT 2017

>          if (PyErr_WarnFormat(PyExc_DeprecationWarning, 1,
>                               "invalid escape sequence '\\%c'",
>                               *first_invalid_escape) < 0) {
>              Py_DECREF(result);
>              return NULL;
>          }
>
> What other core developers think about this?

I would format that as:

          if (PyErr_WarnFormat(
                  PyExc_DeprecationWarning,
                  1,
                  "invalid escape sequence '\\%c'",
                  *first_invalid_escape) < 0)
              {
              Py_DECREF(result);
              return NULL;
          }

Because:

- having all the arguments on separate lines means
   - the function and first argument don't get run together
   - it's easy to pick out the individual arguments
- having the opening brace on its own line means
   - a little extra white space to buffer the condition and the body
   - it's easier to read the function name and then drop down to the
     body

All in all, it becomes easier for (at least my) suboptimal eyes to read the code.

--
~Ethan~