[Python-Dev] RFC: Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 5 20:59:43 EDT 2017

On Jun 5, 2017 7:01 AM, "Nick Coghlan" <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

On 5 June 2017 at 21:44, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Is pip allowed to use the hypothetical _ensurepip_ssl outside of
ensurepip?

Yes, so something like _tls_bootstrap would probably be a better name
for the helper module (assuming we go down the "private API to
bootstrap 3rd party SSL modules" path).

It seems like there's a risk here that we end up with two divergent copies
of ssl.py and _ssl.c inside the python 2 tree, and that this will make it
harder to do future bug fixing and backports. Is this going to cause
problems? Is there any way to mitigate them?

-n