[Python-Dev] The untuned tunable parameter ARENA_SIZE

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 6 18:35:17 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Tim]
> >> So at most 9 arenas ("highwater mark") were ever simultaneously
> allocated [by the
> >> time the REPL prompt appeared in a 64-bit 3.6.1]..
>
> > ... though not completely off-base.
>
> Yes, 9 is in the ballpark of 16.
>

> I think _some_ increase of arena size should be a no-brainer,

Maybe big enough to hold a bare, just started up interpreter?

> but I
> don't expect it to help a lot.

I was wondering about that -- in my experience with making re-sizable numpy
arrays, (not the same use-case, I know!), I found that allocating memory
wasn't all that slow, really. IN that use case, if you re-allocated every
time you added a single element, it was dog-slow. But once you allocated
less than, say, about every 10 or so, it started to make little difference
how much you over-allocated.

In this case, I'm thinking that as long as there is a not-tiny arena, it
just isn't going to make that much difference.

But only profiling will tell us.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov