[Python-Dev] On "PEP 546 — Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7"

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Fri Jun 9 19:56:32 EDT 2017

The reason we're having this conversation at all is probably a matter of
timing. If MemoryBIO was in Python 3 when PEP 466 was accepted, it
surely would have come along for the ride to 2.7. I believe PEP 466 is
generally considered to have produced positive results. PEP 546,
carrying no breaking changes, is less risky than PEP 466.
The reluctance to bend 2.7 rules is healthy. This PEP is part of the
price we pay, though, for making a backwards-incompatible release. The
security landscape has and will change over the 10+ python-dev-supported
life span of 2.7. During that time, we have an obligation to keep Python
2 secure. Part of that is supporting modern security interfaces, which
are features. This change is needed to make another stdlib feature,
ensurepip (which is itself yet another 2.7.x backport) work well.
Therefore, as 2.7 release manager, I'm accepting the PEP.