[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Mon Jun 12 08:50:53 EDT 2017

On 12 June 2017 at 14:24, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 June 2017 at 18:56, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Nick Coghlan pushed his implementation of his PEP 538: nice! Nice step
>> forward to UTF-8 everywhere ;-)
>>
>> I would prefer to not be annoyed by warning messages about encodings
>> at startup if possible:
>>
>> "Python detected LC_CTYPE=C: LC_CTYPE coerced to C.UTF-8 (set another
>> locale or PYTHONCOERCECLOCALE=0 to disable this locale coercion
>> behavior)."
>
> Note that there's an open issue for this linked from the What's New entry:
>
> * https://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.7.html#pep-538-legacy-c-locale-coercion
> * https://bugs.python.org/issue30565
>
> I suspect the eventual outcome is going to be dropping that particular
> warning (since it's been problematic for Fedora's 3.6 backport as
> well, and the problems are due to the warning itself, *not* the locale
> coercion), but I'd prefer to keep the notification at least for a
> while (potentially even until alpha 1).
>
> OTOH, I'm also open to being persuaded otherwise if enough folks are
> running into problems with it just while working on CPython (I'd still
> like to turn it back on for alpha 1 even if we turn off in the
> meantime, though).
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> P.S. Part of my rationale for doing it this way is that I'm certain
> that after 3.7's release next year we're going to get at least a few
> users genuinely upset at our decision to move the ASCII-based C locale
> explicitly into the "legacy partially-supported environment" category,
> and even more upset that we're "silently ignoring their explicit
> configuration settings" by implicitly coercing it to something else.

Yes - all these 15 users can be quite noisy - they are not quite users of
"whatever there is is good" like the other 800 million or so users
that will be bothered by
the warning.
(Ok -  I guess most of the 800 million users won't even be seeing a
terminal when running their Python -
but still it would be a  couple million users and let's suppose there
are 150 and not 15 genuinely worried
about that coercion)

> Those kinds of concerns are much easier to address effectively if we
> can say "We tried it with an explicit warning, and it was too annoying
> to be usable; see <issue link> if you want more details" than if we're
> in the situation of having to say "We assumed an explicit warning
> would be too annoying, so we never even tried it".

Perfect - and guess what? It looks like it already happened, as you
can see by these e-mail messages.
Therefore we are good to remove the warning now.