[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 14:42:43 EDT 2017

>> -1 for disable coercion by default:  It's too unhelpful for beginners.
>
> Are you proposing to reject the PEP that you approved? Now I'm confused.

No, I just wanted to clarify your propose.

You said "I'm able to render my hello world with the wrong locale :-)".
So I want to clarify you didn't mean "Python 3.6 can print ASCII in C locale,
so stop coercion and warning by default".

Now I think I understand your point.

> Why would user need to be annoyed by a warning while Python just do
> the "right thing" for them?

Hmm, I didn't have enough confident about locale coercion is the "right thing"
always.

But since current PEP 538 changes only LC_CTYPE, there are very small
chance for unwanted side-effect.  I agree it's small enough to do the coercion
silently.

There are some unhappy feedback about warning already.
Unless I see some unhappy feedback about coercion, I'm +1 to remove the
warning at some point before 3.7.0.
And I change my -0.5 to -0 about removing it right now.

Regards,