[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Jun 12 16:30:14 EDT 2017

On 6/12/2017 1:11 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> I do not have any locale-related env vars.  You should check whether
> the warning is off on all Win10 systems, as well as Win7 and Win8.
> Many Windows users know nothing about ENV VARS, and even if they do,
> they may not know how (I don't know the details) or MAY NOT BE ABLE to
> set one permanently.

where (latest Win10): in the control panel, System and Security, System,
Advanced system settings (left edge menu item), Advanced Tab,
Environment Variables (button).

Two sets of variables. User should always be able to set User variables
that are in effect for all new processes launched after creation of the
variable. System variables may be locked down if not administrator.

Both types are permanent, stored in the registry.

 From a command line, batch file, or program launcher, temporary, local
environment variables can be set that only apply to other programs in
that session and that session's child processes.

So there is no fear of being unable to set an environment variable on
Windows. Naturally, some users may not know what they are or how to set
them, but it is well-documented in various places... just google "how to
set windows environment variables".