[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 05:07:05 EDT 2017

Ok, if you want to have a more concrete example of regression
introduced by this warning, look at test_tracemalloc failures on this
FreeBSD buildbot:
http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/AMD64%20FreeBSD%20CURRENT%20Debug%203.x/builds/419/steps/test/logs/stdio

I expect that a *lot* of tests using stderr will be broken by this warning.

I'm not interested to discuss if the CI is properly configured or not.
The thing is the warning can easily be seen as a regression: the test
pass on 3.6 on the same platform ;-)

One example:

FAIL: test_conflicting_envvar_and_command_line
(test.test_warnings.CEnvironmentVariableTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/home/buildbot/python/3.x.koobs-freebsd-current/build/Lib/test/test_warnings/__init__.py",
line 1062, in test_conflicting_envvar_and_command_line
    b"DeprecationWarning: Message"])
AssertionError: Lists differ: [b'Python runtime initialized with
LC_CTYPE=[305 chars]age'] != [b'Traceback (most recent call last):',
b'  [65 chars]age']

First differing element 0:
b'Python runtime initialized with LC_CTYPE=[190 chars]ded.'
b'Traceback (most recent call last):'

First list contains 1 additional elements.
First extra element 3:
b'DeprecationWarning: Message'

- [b'Python runtime initialized with LC_CTYPE=C (a locale with default
ASCII enco'
-  b'ding), which may cause Unicode compatibility problems. Using
C.UTF-8, C.utf8'
-  b', or UTF-8 (if available) as alternative Unicode-compatible
locales is recom'
-  b'mended.',
-  b'Traceback (most recent call last):',
? ^

+ [b'Traceback (most recent call last):',
? ^

   b'  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>',
   b'DeprecationWarning: Message']

Victor