[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 09:07:19 EDT 2017

On 13 June 2017 at 19:07, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, if you want to have a more concrete example of regression
> introduced by this warning, look at test_tracemalloc failures on this
> FreeBSD buildbot:
> http://buildbot.python.org/all/builders/AMD64%20FreeBSD%20CURRENT%20Debug%203.x/builds/419/steps/test/logs/stdio
>
> I expect that a *lot* of tests using stderr will be broken by this warning.
>
> I'm not interested to discuss if the CI is properly configured or not.
> The thing is the warning can easily be seen as a regression: the test
> pass on 3.6 on the same platform ;-)

Those failures aren't due to the successful coercion warning, they're
due to the "Python 3.7 has dropped support for your ASCII-only
platform" warning that the interpreter ends up emitting after coercion
fails :)

You're already working on the more user-friendly solution to that
case, by way of PEP 540 (and if we decide it's a more expedient
interim solution, I'd be fine with switching the Py_WARN_ON_C_LOCALE
config setting to "no" until you've had more time to work on that).

Cheers,
Nick.