[Python-Dev] Proposed release schedule for Python 3.5.4

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Wed Jun 21 22:58:13 EDT 2017

It's time to start planning the next 3.5 release, 3.5.4.  Note that this
will be the last 3.5 "bugfix" release; after 3.5.4, the 3.5 branch will
only be open for security fixes.  3.5.4 will also be the last release of
3.5 with binary installers.

I propose to tag and release 3.5.4 on these dates:

3.5.4rc1
     tag Sat July 22 2017
     release Sun July 23 2017

3.5.4 final
     tag Sun Aug 6 2017
     release Mon Aug 7 2017

Thus rc1 would be tagged in just over four weeks.

As for 3.4--

Lately I've been releasing new versions of 3.5 and 3.4 at the same
time.  But I'm not sure it's worth the effort to release another 3.4
right now.  There have only been two (2) checkins into the 3.4 branch
since 3.4.6 was released back in January:

    f37b0cb230069481609b0bb06891b5dd26320504
         bpo-25008: Deprecate smtpd and point to aiosmtpd

    fa53dbdec818b0f2a0e22ca12a49d83ec948fc91
         Issues #27850 and #27766: Remove 3DES from ssl
         default cipher list and add ChaCha20 Poly1305.

The first was a documentation-only change which is already live on
docs.python.org.  The second changes the _DEFAULT_CIPHERS and
_RESTRICTED_SERVER_CIPHERS constants in Lib/ssl.py.  A reasonable
change, but minor.  I'm not convinced it's worth spending the time of
many people in the community at large to update 3.4 just for this.

If you have any feedback / concerns about this schedule, or if you think
it's important that I release 3.4.7 with these minor changes, please
reply here.  If I don't hear anything back in a day or two I'll go ahead
and make this the official schedule.

Your friendly neighborhood release manager,

//arry/