[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at freebsd.org
Sat Jun 24 00:01:50 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> We've been talking about addressing this for years.  Fixing this was one
> of the goals of the new workflow.  And finally, as of right now, the future
> is here.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present: blurb.
>
> https://github.com/python/core-workflow/tree/master/blurb

Yes, when you have a single NEWS file that needs to get updated,
the process begins  to fall apart when you have a pull request type of
workflow
which results in many merge conflicts to the single NEWS file.

Twisted and Buildbot use towncrier ( https://github.com/hawkowl/towncrier )
which tries
to solve the same problem as blurb.  The developer needs to
commit individual newsfragment files to the tree along with their pull
request.
At release time, the release engineer runs towncrier which aggregates the
individual
newsfragments into a single NEWS file.  The NEWS file is not checked in,
but the release engineer makes it available as part of official release
tarballs.

--
Craig