[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 01:55:55 EDT 2017

On 24 June 2017 at 14:01, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>>

>> We've been talking about addressing this for years.  Fixing this was one
>> of the goals of the new workflow.  And finally, as of right now, the future
>> is here.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present: blurb.
>>
>> https://github.com/python/core-workflow/tree/master/blurb
>

> Yes, when you have a single NEWS file that needs to get updated,
> the process begins  to fall apart when you have a pull request type of
> workflow
> which results in many merge conflicts to the single NEWS file.
>
> Twisted and Buildbot use towncrier ( https://github.com/hawkowl/towncrier )
> which tries
> to solve the same problem as blurb.

Aye, towncrier and OpenStack's reno were the two main alternatives we
looked at in addition to Larry's offer of creating a tool specifically
for CPython: https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/6

We ultimately settled on blurb mainly because we wanted to be able to
customise various details differently from the way towncrier works,
and we figure they're close enough in spirit that folks familiar with
one won't have any problems adapting to the other.

Cheers,
Nick.