[Python-Dev] [python-committers] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 02:25:16 EDT 2017

> One minor but ongoing problem we've had in CPython core development has been
> the mess of updating Misc/NEWS.  Day-to-day developers may have a conflict
> if they lose a push race, which means a little editing.  You'll have a
> similar, if slightly worse, problem when cherry-picking a fix between
> versions.  Worst of all used to be the manual merges necessary after cutting
> a release--this was the bane of a CPython release manager's existence.
> (Though the new git-based workflow may have obviated the worst of this.)

Thanks Larry! With the old hg-based workflow this was only slightly
annoying, but the new git-based workflow turned this into a hell. If
you have several PRs that updates the same Misc/NEWS section you
needed to spent many time for just resolving conflicts one by one and
waiting CI tests. And be lucky if other core developer trying to do
the same withis PRs at the same time.

> You can install blurb from pip:
>
> % pip3.6 install blurb
>
> In fact--please do!