[Python-Dev] [python-committers] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jun 24 13:30:45 EDT 2017

On 6/24/2017 12:45 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
> On 06/24/2017 09:40 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 6/23/2017 11:24 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
>>
>> > You can install blurb from pip:
>> >
>> >     % pip3.6 install blurb
>>
>> This does not seem to work right.  On Windows:
>>
>> C:\Users\Terry>py -3 -m pip install blurb
>> Collecting blurb
>>   Downloading blurb-1.0-py3-none-any.whl
>> Installing collected packages: blurb
>> Successfully installed blurb-1.0
>>
>> Explorer shows that 3.6 site-packages has a 'blurb-1.0.dist-info'
>> directory but neither blurb.py nor 'blurb/' is present.  So the
>> following are to be expected.
>>
>> C:\Users\Terry>py -3 -m blurb
>> C:\Programs\Python36\python.exe: No module named blurb
>>
>> > py -3
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'blurb'
>>
>> Serhiy reported a similar problem on, I presume, some flavor of Linux.
>
> I replied to Serhiy; it's just "blurb", it's a command-line tool, it's
> not a package or a module.  It should be a command on your path.

The reason I tried "<something> -m blurb" is because that is the
standard and recommended way to run installed scripts on Windows.  That
is how I run pip and cherry_picker, for instance.

I found 'blurb' in <36dir>/Scripts/.  The name and location are errors.
1. On Windows, python files need the .py extension.
2. That directory is not currently on the path on my machine.  I believe
it once was, but installing 3.5.3 replaced it with the 3.5 /Scripts.
On Windows, 3rd party installers must not presume that any /Scripts
directory is on the path.  By default, none are.

Solution: name the file blurb.py and put it in site-packages.  This is
standard and what is done by all other pip-installs that I have run.
Put a copy in /Scripts if you want, but that is really optional and only
sometimes effective.

> TBH I don't know if installation of a command-line tool like that works
> on Windows.  The tool itself was ported to Windows by Zach at the PyCon
> core dev sprints last month, though that predates the PyPI work, and in
> any case I could have broken the Windows support since then.
> Unfortunately I'm no longer a qualified Windows developer, so if it
> doesn't work on Windows I fear someone will have to send me a PR.

I only know what the end result should be.  Pip-installed Cherry_picker
works on Windows, so copy from the spec files for that, or ask whoever
wrote the pip-upload.