[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 21:51:29 EDT 2017

On 25 June 2017 at 02:10, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:57:24 -0700
> Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> On 06/24/2017 01:53 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>> > Would you like to make it 3.5-compatible?  3.6 is quite young and not
>> > all systems have it (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04, which many people use, has 3.5).
>>
>> Well, tbh I think that's a bit silly.  First of all, it shouldn't be
>> installed in your system-wide python3 interpreter.
>
> Well, you can always create a venv using the system python3.
>
> Nowadays, to be honest, I use conda and Anaconda a lot, so I can
> very quickly create a local Python 3.6 environment on my work machine,
> even if my OS doesn't provide a Python 3.6.  I'm just not sure everyone
> has the same habits as me, though I'm all for more core developers
> adopting conda :-)

I already have a cpicker venv set up in vex to run cherry-picker [1],
so I'll probably just add blurb to that (or create a new "cpydev" one
with all the CPython workflow tools).

So count me in as a +1 for standardising on a model where:

- client-side core-workflow tools are free to use features from the
latest released version of Python
- we expect core devs to set up a venv or conda env to run those tools
if their system Python is too old to let them just use "pip install
--user" or "pipsi install"

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] Based on a "make altinstall"ed 3.6 for now, although I'll be able
to drop that once I upgrade to Fedora 26