[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 25 11:14:53 EDT 2017

On 6/12/2017 4:30 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> On 6/12/2017 1:11 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> I do not have any locale-related env vars.  You should check whether
>> the warning is off on all Win10 systems, as well as Win7 and Win8.
>> Many Windows users know nothing about ENV VARS, and even if they do,
>> they may not know how (I don't know the details) or MAY NOT BE ABLE to
>> set one permanently.
>
> where (latest Win10): in the control panel, System and Security, System,
> Advanced system settings (left edge menu item),

On my system, accessing Advanced system settings requires an admin password.

> Advanced Tab, Environment Variables (button).
>
> Two sets of variables. User should always be able to set User variables
> that are in effect for all new processes launched after creation of the
> variable.

On my auto-updated Win 10 system, one may only set User variables for
the admin account one gave the password for.

> System variables may be locked down if not administrator.

Are locked down.

> Both types are permanent, stored in the registry.

As I said, I seem to only be able to do so permanently with admin access.

--
Terry Jan Reedy