[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 25 12:16:10 EDT 2017

On 6/25/2017 8:06 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 24.06.17 18:57, Larry Hastings пише:
>> On 06/24/2017 01:53 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> Would you like to make it 3.5-compatible?  3.6 is quite young and not
>>> all systems have it (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04, which many people use, has 3.5).
>>
>> Well, tbh I think that's a bit silly.  First of all, it shouldn't be
>> installed in your system-wide python3 interpreter.  Second, I assumed
>> core devs were compiling their own Python interpreters locally in
>> their account--in no small part so they can install any packages they
>> want. And finally, you're asking me to give up f-strings.
>>
>> If someone else wants to send me a PR getting it to work on 3.5, I'd
>> look at it.  I'm guessing it's really just f-strings but I can't say
>> for sure what else is a 3.6 dependency.
>
> https://github.com/python/core-workflow/pull/143

The diff amounts to regressing all f-strings back to %-strings.  If the
patch is applied, an issue should be opened to revert it sometime in the
future, such as when 3.7 is released.  But I really think we should be
able to use currently released python to write tools to develop future
releases.

My alternative proposal: modify the tooling so that one can install
blurb, cherry_picker, and anything else into local cloned repositories
without blocking proper use of git.  As near as I can tell, we just need
to .gitignore Scripts/ and Lib/site-packages/, which are empty in the
master repository.  Am I missing something?

F:\dev\3x>python -m ensurepip
Running Debug|Win32 interpreter...
Collecting setuptools
Collecting pip
Installing collected packages: setuptools, pip
Successfully installed pip-9.0.1 setuptools-28.8.0

F:\dev\3x>git status
On branch pr_2377
Untracked files:
   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

         Lib/site-packages/easy_install.py
         Lib/site-packages/pip-9.0.1.dist-info/
         Lib/site-packages/pip/
         Lib/site-packages/pkg_resources/
         Lib/site-packages/setuptools-28.8.0.dist-info/
         Lib/site-packages/setuptools/
         Scripts/

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

F:\dev\3x>python -m pip install blurb
Running Debug|Win32 interpreter...
Collecting blurb
   Downloading blurb-1.0.0.post1-py3-none-any.whl (56kB)
     100% |████████████████████████████████| 61kB 596kB/s
Installing collected packages: blurb
Successfully installed blurb-1.0.0.post1

F:\dev\3x>python -m blurb
Running Debug|Win32 interpreter...
<edit and save template>

F:\dev\3x>git status
         new file:
Misc/NEWS.d/next/IDLE/2017-06-25-12-00-03.bpo-12345.2Oj8ot.rst

There it is, staged and ready to commit, with the message I entered
('test'). (So, by the way, the revised blurb installer works.)

The same change should allow people to clone cpython and install and
easily test other packages, such as numpy, with tip.

--
Terry Jan Reedy