[Python-Dev] Helping contributors with chores (do we have to?)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Jun 25 13:02:44 EDT 2017

On Jun 25, 2017 08:12, "Jakub Wilk" <jwilk at jwilk.net> wrote:

* Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com>, 2017-06-25, 11:47:

A GitHub PR is just a git branch (in somebody else's repository, but also
> in the repository it's submitted to). So, like any git branch, you can
> fetch it, re-branch to your local branch, apply any changes to it, rebase,
> push anywhere.

Right, this is documented here:
https://help.github.com/articles/checking-out-pull-requests-locally/

There're also various tools for dealing specifically with git branch layout
> as used by Github, and every real man writes their own

I have this in my gitconfig:

[alias]
        hub-pr = ! "_g() { set -e -u; git fetch origin
\"pull/$1/head:gh-$1\" && git checkout \"gh-$1\"; }; _g"

If I want to checkout PR#42, I do:

$ git hub-pr 42

I believe you and Paul are missing the specific problem that Antoine was
talking about, which is: how can we easily make changes *to someone else's
PR*, i.e. these changes should show up in the diff view if you go to the
PR's web page. This requires not just getting a copy of the PR branch
locally, but also pushing it back to the original submitter's branch on
GitHub.

Allegedly this is possible in most cases (there's a permissions toggle the
submitter can set, but it's set by default):

https://help.github.com/articles/committing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork/

However, like Antoine, when I've tried to do this then all I've managed is
to get obscure errors from GitHub. Did I have the wrong incantations? Was
the permissions toggle set wrong? (I thought the web ui said it wasn't, but
maybe I misunderstood.) It's a mystery. Has anyone figured out how to make
*this* work reliably or ergonomically?

Also, as a general comment, not directed at Jakub: the posturing about how
easy git is reminds me of the posturing about how much better language X is
than others described here: http://blog.aurynn.com/contempt-culture-2. My
dudes, in a previous life I helped invent distributed VCS, but I still get
confused by fiddly git BS just like everyone else. I know you probably
aren't meaning to go around telling people that they're not Real
Programmers because they get confused like me, but you are and it's not
kind; please stop.

-n