[Python-Dev] Helping contributors with chores (do we have to?)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jun 25 13:13:18 EDT 2017

On 06/25/2017 01:33 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 21:37:46 -0700
> Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:
>> Well, no.  *Writing blurb-compatible files* becomes a required step for
>> all committers.  And blurb makes that easy.  But it's pretty easy to
>> write them by hand; that's why we pre-created the "next" directories,
>> and there are instructions in the dev guide.
> Hmm.  If it were so easy, you wouldn't have felt the need to add that
> functionality to blurb, right? :-)

No, I'm not contradicting myself.  It's easy enough to do without blurb,
but blurb makes it effortless.

For core developers who are adding NEWS entries all the time, it's
little enough burden to ask them to install an extra tool.  There were
enough constraints on the process that asking people to continually do
it by hand seemed worse.

For non-core developers who may have never contributed to CPython
before, and are doing this for probably the one time in their lives,
having instructions on a web page telling them how to name and format a
special file is probably better than simply requiring them to install a
special tool.

Again, it's my hope that someone can make a static web page, to be
checked in to the Dev Guide, that uses JS wizardry to create a
downloadable file for you.  Also it might work to hide a simple
"blurb-add.py" in the CPython library so that users of 3.7+ don't need
an external tool in order to simply add a NEWS item.

//arry/