[Python-Dev] New workflow change: Welcome to blurb

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jun 25 13:25:57 EDT 2017

> On Jun 25, 2017, at 12:39 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017, 23:45 Nick Coghlan, <ncoghlan at gmail.com <mailto:ncoghlan at gmail.com>> wrote:
> On 25 June 2017 at 16:31, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
> >> 25.06.17 06:04, Nick Coghlan пише:
> >
> > You seem to be suggesting adding a possibly incomplete entry with the first
> > patch.  If that is so, it would be helpful if blurb could pull an existing
> > file for an issue into the editor.
>
> I was mainly referring to cases where either an initial commit (with a
> complete NEWS entry) requires follow-up fixes (no NEWS edit
> necessary).
>
> However, another case did occur to me, which is fixing bugs reported
> against never-released features (which is what I'm currently working
> on for PEP 538).
>
> https://github.com/python/bedevere/pull/22 <https://github.com/python/bedevere/pull/22> is the current implementation of the check. All it does is see if the PR has a path that contains a news file. It can also easily be changed to also support some "no news" label if people want it to.
>

> So trying to automate that particular check may end up proving to be
> more hassle than it's worth.
>
> The entire reason I want to have this check is I don't want or have to ask another PR submitter to include a draft of a news item. It's much easier to edit an existing news entry through the web UI than either ask for it and deal with the turnaround time to get the PR submitter to add it.

We’ve had a similar check on pip for awhile now and we’ve had no real complaints. The label to mark a change as not needing a news file is useful, we also let you add a empty news file marked as trivial for the PR authors to indicate that their change doesn’t deserve a news file entry. It has worked well so far and we’ve gotten better news file coverage then we previously had.

—
Donald Stufft