[Python-Dev] Helping contributors with chores (do we have to?)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Jun 25 14:01:08 EDT 2017

On Jun 25, 2017 10:27, "Larry Hastings" <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

On 06/25/2017 10:02 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

My dudes, in a previous life I helped invent distributed VCS, but I still
get confused by fiddly git BS just like everyone else.

Really?  I thought Bitkeeper was out before the monotone project even
started--and TeamWare had monotone beat by most of a decade.  Not to
downplay your achievements, but I don't think you "helped invent DVCS".  Or
did you work on Bitkeeper / TeamWare?

If your response to the previous message is to send an email to all of
python-dev nitpicking credentials, then I think you missed the point...

(There are many projects that attempted to somehow combine the terms
"distributed" and "VCS", but nowadays the overwhelmingly dominant use of
that term is to refer to system designs in the monotone/git/hg lineage.
Perhaps I could have phrased it better; feel free to pretend I wrote a
several paragraph history tracing which systems influenced which instead. I
don't think any of this affects the actual point, which is that you can be
arbitrarily familiar with how a software system works and still be lost and
confused on a regular basis, so people should pay attention and try to
avoid making comments that imply this indicates some personal deficit in
the asker.)

((Maybe I should clarify that the reason I'm being cranky about this isn't
really on my or Antoine's behalf, but on behalf of anyone lurking and
thinking "oh, python-dev says I suck, I guess I'm not cut out to be a
python contributor".))

(((Though also I *would* genuinely appreciate it if anyone could explain
how to make GitHub do the thing I couldn't figure out. Probably it's
something silly and obvious...)))

-n