[Python-Dev] Helping contributors with chores (do we have to?)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jun 25 14:50:31 EDT 2017

On 06/25/2017 11:01 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2017 10:27, "Larry Hastings" <larry at hastings.org
> <mailto:larry at hastings.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 06/25/2017 10:02 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>     My dudes, in a previous life I helped invent distributed VCS, but
>>     I still get confused by fiddly git BS just like everyone else.
>
>     Really?  I thought Bitkeeper was out before the monotone project
>     even started--and TeamWare had monotone beat by most of a decade.
>     Not to downplay your achievements, but I don't think you "helped
>     invent DVCS".  Or did you work on Bitkeeper / TeamWare?
>

> If your response to the previous message is to send an email to all of
> python-dev nitpicking credentials, then I think you missed the point...

Actually, I agreed with the point, I just wanted you to clarify about
your claimed bona fides here.  And I notice your reply was sent "to all
of python-dev" and contained a lot of "nitpicking"; either this behavior
is permissible or it isn't.

DVCSes were a conceptual breakthrough, and the people behind it deserve
all the praise and admiration we can heap on them.  If you "helped
invent" them--that's fantastic!  Thank you!  If you didn't, then it's
misleading to claim that you did, so please don't.

> Perhaps I could have phrased it better; feel free to pretend I wrote a
> several paragraph history tracing which systems influenced which instead.

I don't think that's necessary.  "I was a core developer on a DVCS"
would have handily made your point--you deeply understand DVCSes from
both a conceptual and practical perspective--while also being brief and
(IIUC) 100% accurate.

//arry/