[Python-Dev] PEP 538 warning at startup: please remove it

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sun Jun 25 19:47:16 EDT 2017

On 6/25/2017 8:14 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 6/12/2017 4:30 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>> On 6/12/2017 1:11 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> I do not have any locale-related env vars.  You should check whether
>>> the warning is off on all Win10 systems, as well as Win7 and Win8.
>>> Many Windows users know nothing about ENV VARS, and even if they do,
>>> they may not know how (I don't know the details) or MAY NOT BE ABLE
>>> to set one permanently.
>>
>> where (latest Win10): in the control panel, System and Security,
>> System, Advanced system settings (left edge menu item),
>
> On my system, accessing Advanced system settings requires an admin
> password.

Interesting and surprising. I guess you've concluded that my
testing/reporting was from an admin account. Not only did I not get a
request for an admin password, I did not get a confirmation dialog that
I should proceed with admin access (like happens with installing
programs, and running .reg files).

>> Advanced Tab, Environment Variables (button).
>>
>> Two sets of variables. User should always be able to set User
>> variables that are in effect for all new processes launched after
>> creation of the variable.
>
> On my auto-updated Win 10 system, one may only set User variables for
> the admin account one gave the password for.

Interesting and surprising again.  User variables for the admin account,
or user variables for the user account, once you achieve admin access.
Perhaps the only way to discover the difference would be to create a
new, junk variable when you get the dialog, and then reboot, and login
as that user, and see if the variable persisted in user mode (can be
seen by starting a CMD prompt, and doing set command).

>> System variables may be locked down if not administrator.
>
> Are locked down.
>
>> Both types are permanent, stored in the registry.
>
> As I said, I seem to only be able to do so permanently with admin access.

This seems extremely limiting.  User variables should be for the user,
not the admin, and should be able to be set/saved by the user without
having admin access. I wonder in what version of Windows this limitation
was introduced... it is ridiculous, especially when people are preaching
that you shouldn't need to run as admin all the time, for better
security in Windows.