[Python-Dev] New work-in-progress bisection tool for the Python test suite (in regrtest)

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:37:43 EDT 2017

> I don't see why regrtest isn't the right place for this.

The current regrest CLI isn't designed for subcommands, and I don't
want to "pollute" regrtest with multiple options for bisect.
Currently, my script has already 4 options:

haypo at selma$ python3 ~/prog/GIT/misc/python/bisect_test.py --help
usage: bisect_test.py [-h] [-i INPUT] [-o OUTPUT] [-n MAX_TESTS] [-N MAX_ITER]

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -i INPUT, --input INPUT
                        Test names produced by --list-tests written into a
                        file. If not set, run --list-tests
  -o OUTPUT, --output OUTPUT
                        Result of the bisection
  -n MAX_TESTS, --max-tests MAX_TESTS
                        Maximum number of tests to stop the bisection
                        (default: 1)
  -N MAX_ITER, --max-iter MAX_ITER
                        Maximum number of bisection iterations (default: 100)

I really like subcommands, it's a nice way to design complex CLI ;-)

Victor